The Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) Canine Health Information Center (CHIC) recommends that all purebreds meet certain health clearances to maintain breed standards. We offer both OFA and PennHIP orthopedic evaluations, as well as OFA thyroid and dentition evaluations. Please speak to one of the veterinarians for ophthalmology, cardiology, or other specialty referrals, if desired. Please call our hospital to schedule your appointment and use the following links to download and complete your appropriate forms and bring them to your appointment.
- OFA Application for Hip/Elbow Dysplasia Database (may require sedation)
- OFA Application for Patellar Luxation Database
- OFA Application for Thyroid Database
- PennHIP Radiograph Application
- All other OFA application forms
NOTE, if your bitch is currently in season:
- OFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) does not recommend radiography of females in estrus or pregnant due to possible increased joint laxity. Radiographs should be taken one month after weaning pups or one month before or after a heat cycle.
- PennHIP does not recommend radiographs during or shortly after pregnancy. The recommendation is to wait 8 weeks post lactation or 16 weeks post whelping. However, the rise in hormones during an estrus cycle does not affect PennHIP evaluations.
Andrea and Wendy in x-ray with Bliss.